Sousa Family Preserve (Alfred)

From L to R: The trail, fresh woodpecker activity, a vernal pool

This new .75 mile trail is a work in progress, and walkers should be prepared with good footwear. Younger children may have a difficult time. Please keep an eye out for some rocks and stumps in the trail path. The trailhead is located at the southern-most entrance to Wilderness Acres Drive (a dirt road with a blue road sign that Google Maps labels “Pheasant Run”) off Gebung Road. Parking is on the left at the start of a wide gravel road that has been blocked off with boulders. There is room for about 4 cars.

Sousa Family Preserve comprises 213 acres off of the Gebung Road in the Walnut Hill Focus Area. It has some important vernal pools and precious wetland species and habitat. This acquisition came after a successful proposal was submitted to the Maine Natural Resource Conservation Program (MNRCP), administered by The Nature Conservancy. It is a “forever wild” property that will never be logged. Little if any logging has been done there since the great fire of ’47. The wetland areas are dominated by red maple and hemlock, although green ash, black ash, yellow birch, black birch, elm, and black gum are also present to a variable degree. One black gum tree was core sampled and found to have been growing for 330 years or more, which dates it to at least 1682.

(Trail Map Coming Soon)